Wednesday, December 3, 2003

Dead Pool 2003

By the way, the new Mac kicks posterior. Safari is a nifty browser, AppleWorks looks to be a great package, and I'm finally putting a dent in in my Netflix backlog, watching Chasing Amy with commentary in a window while blogging away. I've yet to light the crackpipe that is the iMusic Store, but that can wait til we go high-speed.



Anyway, while I'm sucking wind in the LaPlaca, I may as well run down my picks in the 2004 George Harrison Open, which just opened Monday. In the just-completed year, I finished second, two stiffs behind my wife the Death Queen. With six or so weeks to go, she got Madame Chiang Kai-Shek, and then on the final day of competition she bagged an empty-netter in Gertrude Ederle.



So, my two teams:

TEAM MATLOCK -- all picks are carryovers from at least one season.

Jerry Lewis (77) - Making his third appearance in as many years. He looked like absolute hell in the 30 seconds I saw of the telethon, but he apparently did the whole weekend and set a fundraising record. So who knows?

Alastair Cooke (95) - Former host of Masterpiece Theatre. new to the organization last year.

Ray Bradbury (83) - Of the three-timers, this is the one I'm keeping just because I've had him for so long.

Mickey Rooney (83) - Three-timer.

Ingmar Bergman (85) -Three-timer.

Oleg Cassini (90) This fashion designer was married to Gene Tierney for a while.

Jules Dassin (91) a second-year vet, he directed Rififfi, regarded as the template for all heist films to follow.

Estee Lauder (95) the cosmetics mogul.

Art Linkletter (91) silly TV show host turned embarrassing antidrug advocate turned embarrassing adjustable-furniture pitchman.

Sherwood Schwartz (87) ruiner of television.



TEAM QUINCY

Pope John Paul II (83) My one seriously obvious pick, and a new pick for me. Only Ronald Reagan is worth fewer points.

Carl Pohlad -(late 80s?) I caught a bit of a radio interview with the Twins owner when they clinched the division. He sounded way out of it. He was a late addition, as I subbed him in for science-fiction writer Andre Norton after Carl's wife died in November at 86.

Byron Nelson (91) - Golfer.

Al Lewis - (80 or 93, depending on whom to believe) Another bandwagon rookie.

Beverly Cleary (87) - beloved children's author.

Jack Paar (85) - I was surprised to hear he was still alive.

Studs Terkel (91) - I sort of regret this pick because Studs is still sharp as a tack, and I like the guy a lot.

Mickey Spillane (85) - See Jack Paar

Dale Messick (97) - Cartoonist and creator of "Brenda Starr, Reporter"

Miep Gies (94) - I'm already going to hell for participating in this thing for three years now, but selecting the woman who hid the Frank family just assured me a ringside seat.

No comments:

Post a Comment