Monday, June 28, 2004

Tried to see Prince Saturday night, only to arrive at the Allstate Arena to see tons of cars EXITING the parking lot. Canceled, rescheduled for August 3 -- a schoolnight, but I have no conflicts. And the Krispy Kreme people were giving out free dozens to people in Mannheim Rd. traffic, so I've no complaints. Instead we went over to Dee's to finally break in her Trivial Pursuit 20th-anniversary edition. Meh...out of all the TP editions, I still prefer Genus Edition and the original expansions (Silver Screen, Baby Boomer). There was some care in questionwriting that just isn't there any more.



Coincidentally, last week I had compiled this List of Ten Things, which I now present with some adjustments and annotations:



Ten artists I had tickets for but didn't see:

Prince (you know why)

a Queen Latifah

b Siouxsie & the Banshees

c Suicidal Tendencies

c Circle Jerks

a Volcano Suns

d Duran Duran

d Georgia Satellites

e Public Image, Ltd.

f Buzzcocks



a no-show opening act

b canceled a stretch of Lollapalooza-I dates due to laryngitis

c no-show headliners

d were scheduled to open for David Bowie on the Glass Spider tour in the Metrodome. Bowie postponed the concert to make room for more Detroit dates. The rescheduled date changed venues and was sans openers.

e I bought tix specifically for opening act PiL but was lukewarm on INXS, the headliners. When PiL canceled, I got rid of my ticket.

f like an idiot, I completely forgot I had a ticket to this show. Damn!



two items in brief, maybe more later:

Fahrenheit 9/11: essentially, it's everything both sides say it is. The most mature work from someone who still has a long way to go.

Big Fish: Remember when Tim Burton used to be cool? He's now 100% irrelevant to my life. His last OK movie was Sleepy Hollow, and hasn't been TIM! F'ING! BURTON! since Ed Wood. I also dread a "Music by Danny Elfman" credit the way I dread James Horner. What a waste of time, even watching with subtitles on at 2x speed.





No comments:

Post a Comment