Tuesday, June 7, 2005

With the passing of Anne Bancroft, I suppose I should make this confession: I don't care for The Graduate. There are only three things about it that stand out in my mind. There's Buck Henry in the hotel, and the last shot of the film. The third thing is Norman Fell creating the Mr. Roper template, but that's more interesting as a bit of trivia than anything else-- and these three things don't add up to the cultural landmark the film's supposed to be. Hoffman's clearly too old for the role (six years younger than Bancroft), the change of pace from sex farce to drama sucks the life out of the movie, Katharine Ross is bland (though she's supposed to be), and I the three S&G songs most associated with the film are the three I never ever need to hear again.

I don't know if this is just me, or a generational thing, as I've not discussed this with many of my peers. Of course, my older readers (that would be my mom and uncle) are welcome to try to set me straight.

No comments:

Post a Comment