Tuesday, July 4, 2006


this exhibit is highly recommended if you're able to get to Milwaukee in the next six weeks. I think I was most moved by the McCay and Herriman. The Schulz wall was sad in that you could chart his deterioration. The Kurtzman section had as much to do with Wally Wood and Will Elder as Kurtzman, but that's fine by me; and my god are those MAD comics still funny. The Jack Kirby section needed more explanation. What's made him important is the Krackle, but you wouldn't know that from the exhibit.

The only major change I'd have made would be to scrap Gary Panter; I'm not a fan, but the exhibit originated in LA, so maybe there's some sort of connection there. I'd probably put the Hernandez Brothers in his place. And are there any women who could be called a 20th-century comic-strip master? I love Lynda Barry, but neither she nor Alison Bechdel are really artistically significant. Don't even mention Cathy Guisewite or Lynn Johnston.

The rest of the museum is very nice, though there was so much to read and look at in the comic exhibit we really only explored the rest for an hour or so. Still, great modern art section, including a very funny piece involving MMPI statements.

No comments:

Post a Comment