Sunday, October 26, 2003

Movies with song titles

After dissing All Tomorrow's Parties below, I started thinking that there were very few good movies taking their titles from previously-existing songs. This exercise excludes movies based on songs, so Convoy, Harper Valley PTA...out. Also, a key phrase is previously-existing, so I'm not considering movies where the eponymous song was created for the film: no Purple Rain, Can't Stop the Music, 42nd Street, etc.



The few decent ones I can think of:

Singin' in the Rain -- the title song originally appeared in this film.

High Fidelity and About A Boy -- named for an Elvis Costello song and a Patti Smith song, respectively.

Some Kind of Wonderful and Sixteen Candles - Grand Funk Railroad did the former; The Crests did the latter, both tunes later lending their names to John Hughes-penned works. In a similar vein, not making the cut is Pretty in Pink (Psychedelic Furs), because I think it's not very good. The movie, not the song.



After which I'm drawing a blank; suggestions are welcome. A part of the problem is that most movies of this ilk are rushed out to capitalize on a hit song's success and marketed specifically to the people that liked the song in question, and look to me like they'd be garbage. Thus I've not seen Girls Just Want to Have Fun, What A Girl Wants, or Something to Talk About. If I'm missing out on something regarding these films, please tell me and...I won't believe you.



No comments:

Post a Comment