Monday, October 23, 2006

For my Out of 5 selection, I was thinking about a song that more aptly described going to an inner-city magnet school in the mid/late eighties, but nothing really grabbed me. Besides, John Hughes movies are always lily-white. "Kids Don't Follow" has the rebellion angle, is anthemic enough to open a movie (it's a leadoff track itself), is by perhaps the defining band of my youth, and has the hometown shoutout to boot. I first heard this song while taping a show from the 125-watt community radio station which I had to place my boom box just so and put foil on the antenna to pick up. It was like getting shortwave from Nairobi, even though they broadcast from an old church across town. I still have the tape. Oh, the kid who yells "Fuck you, man!" at the police? He grew up to be Soul Asylum's Dave Pirner.

No comments:

Post a Comment