Thursday, March 14, 2002

I could have stayed home to watch Celebrity Boxing

In spectacularly dumbass fashion, I managed to break my arm last night.



We were finishing up curling last night, clearing the rocks off the ice. I knew there were stones behind me, and heard voices saying "look out for the rocks behind you. So I jumped a little -- literally jumped, maybe only an inch or two off the ground, but just enough to ensure that I ended up on my ass -- or rather, my right forearm.



How fucking stupid was that? Did I really expect to have a 42-pound chunk of granite and metal -- a hypothetical one at this point, since I had no idea what was behind me, if anything -- zip safely under my feet while I was airborne? I'm lucky there were in fact no rocks immediately near me -- I could've landed on one or more and really messed myself up.



We were done for the night, so I stuck around for a little while, mostly to see if my arm was going to stop hurting. It didn't -- while I could bend my arm at the elbow, turning my forearm (extend your arm and turn it, palm-up to palm-down) or holding anything without my arm supported --hurt like hell. So I drove myself, mostly one-handed, home, where I collected Kirsti and headed off to the ER. I would have gone straight there had I remembered to bring my cell phone, but I travel light to curling due to a lack of secure pockets.



After about three hours, mostly spent sitting around, I was told I have a very small crack in my radius, near the elbow. So right now I'm in a splint, with a referral to a bone guy and a scrip for Vicodin. I can type (obviously), so I don't expect to miss work, but I'm working from home today anyway, doing the stuff I brought home intending to do while waiting for the dryer repairman. The ER doctor thinks this will heal much faster than the usual 6 weeks. I wonder what sort of plaster getup I'll be in for Steve and Steph's wedding on the 23rd. Needless to say, my curling season has come to an abbreviated end. But I think I'll still sign up for next year.



...and that Mediaweek guy's name is Marc Berman, not Stuart.

No comments:

Post a Comment