Tuesday, March 5, 2002

You're older than you've ever been and now you're even older

Had a low-key birthday yesterday. Kirsti bestowed CDs and Girl Scout cookies on me in the morning, and took me out for Argentinian food for dinner. I also got cookies and a hatching goblin (must get that digicam!) from coworkers, and am doing a joint b-day lunch thing today. I didn't have an I feel old moment until driving home from the restaurant. The radio played "Brass Monkey" by the Beastie Boys, which I realized came out half a lifetime ago. Of course, the strange thing is that a so-called "New Alternative" station is playing a song older than its key demographic.



CDs

White Stripes, White Blood Cells

White Stripes are two siblings from Detroit who play just guitar and drums. Buying this for me was a sure sign of Kirsti's love, as we've both had the insanely catchy cowpunk single "Hotel Yorba" in our heads for the longest time, only she hates it. I'm not as crazy about the album as the linked review -- "Yorba" is not representative of the whole CD -- but I'm warming up to it. And nowhere does the linked review mention its similarity to the Pixies.



Dan the Automator, Wanna Buy A Monkey? and Lovage: Music To Make Love To Your Old Lady By

Dan "The Automator" Nakamura is seemingly all over everything these days. Wanna Buy A Monkey? calls itself a "mixtape session" -- the Automator's work with various groups (De La Soul, Deltron 3000, Gorillaz, etc.). Lovage is a whacked out parody of (ahem) mood music. I'm liking both of these quite a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment