Thursday, September 30, 2004

The John Waters Paradox

inspired by reading about A Dirty Shame which precious few people seem to like.



No matter how sketchy Waters' films are, his DVD commentaries are all excellent. Witty and informative, they make his good stuff great and his lousy stuff watchable. I wish he'd do them for movies he has nothing to do with. I'd love to hear him get scholarly on Faster, Pussycat!! Kill! Kill! or one of the serious Woody Allen movies, or Passion of the Christ . I enjoy his commentaries so much that I have no longer have any desire to see one of his movies in the theatres--I'd much rather rent them.



While once a controversial (and barely competent) director, it's extreme competence, at least in that one area, that ensures that he'll never see another dime from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment