Friday, February 15, 2002

They Control The Vertical



I'm off to Boston tomorrow morning for SF27, an annual 24-hour science fiction film marathon. This year's lineup, in chronological order:



The Lost World (1925)

Doctor X (1932)

The Creature with the Atom Brain (1955)

These are the Damned (1963)

The Omega Man (1971)

The Terminal Man (1974)

Iceman (1984)

Gojira VS Desutoroia (1995)

The Independent (2000)

X-Men (2000)

Happy Accidents (2000)

Evolution (2001)

Alien Love Triangle/Lightyears Trilogy (2001)

Wave Twisters (2001)

(and yes, I swiped the above chunk of HTML from the source at the SF27 site).



...and maybe some other surprises. One of which will not be Altered States, which was pulled due to a bad print. While I've seen that one, it's been a while, and I was pretty young (yet another example of the age-inappropriate viewing which is the hallmark of the Sorenson family). While Spider-Man fits this year's "Mutants R Us" theme, I imagine it's the longest of longshots that they'd be able to secure it for this event. I get the idea Sam Raimi would be willing, but the damn suits...



As it is I've only seen two of these, so I'm well pleased. This Lightyears Trilogy is/was an anthology piece that was in the works, and apparently shelved indefinitely when one segment was expanded into the recent Gary Sinise/Philip K. Dick film Impostor. Rumor is we're getting segments directed by Danny Boyle and Bryan Singer, but probably not the bit that ended up as Impostor. Too bad.



The key to surviving something like this? A pillow. Advil, a toothbrush, and snacks help, but a pillow is oh so crucial. Coolidge Corner is an old theatre, and one can screw up one's back rather easily. Kirsti had the idea of bringing earplugs this year, which assumes you can plan a time in which to sleep, so we'll see how that goes. I'm hoping Omega Man and Evolution are scheduled back to back at 1 a.m for just that purpose. This will be interesting to compare this to B-Fest, which I went to in January. I think I like B-Fest better, but a lot of that has to do with being able to stagger home and collapse in my own bed afterward.



After seeing my earlier post about the number of movies I've seen so far, my sister asks, "So you'll see all those weird movies but you still refuse to see Forrest Gump?" Yeah, well, I've eaten snails, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna go run out and eat Drano, too. Or something like that.



No comments:

Post a Comment