Tuesday, August 1, 2006

Movie Log 2006 50-62
A Scanner Darkly - Someone finally got Philip K. Dick right. Perfectly cast, I thought. The only major change seemed to be (invisotext spoiler:) Donna was written as more burnt out in the book. Here she just seemed weird and aloof, which made the reveal at the end less powerful.



Bells Are Ringing - Judy Holliday's last film. She was only 38 or so, but still too old for the role. The film spent far too long establishing her ZANINESS!

Kagemusha - I liked this a lot less than I expected to. Too long and self-indulgent. It felt like Lucas had more to do with it than just distribution.

Monster House - Excellent 3D. I can't imagine seeing it flat. It's 3/4 of a decent movie, but falls apart.

Genghis Blues - who saw this and *didn't* attempt throatsinging afterward?

Swing Time Quite entertaining, except for the blackface number.

Sympathy for Lady Vengeance - I think I still liked Oldboy slightly better.

Jesus is Magic Sure glad I rented.

Humoresque I gotta say, I believed John Garfield could actually play the violin. I also learned that divorced women are better off drowning themselves. Young John Garfield was played by Bobby Blake, who grew up to look a lot like Garfield. Well, I think so.

Bela Lugosi Meets A Brooklyn Gorilla You know what's worse than Jerry Lewis? A Jerry Lewis impersonator.

She-Ra: The Secret of the Sword LONG! and BORING! This was written by Bob Forward, who wrote of of my favorite lost pulpy paperbacks, The Owl.

Visions of Light - This was a made-for-TV doc about how important cinematographers are. Meh.

Lost in America it was okay. Julie Hagerty needed a sammitch.

No comments:

Post a Comment