Sunday, February 18, 2007

And now the interview questions are pouring in. Next up is Mark:

1. You've alluded to your inner city high school at times. How did you wind up there, and what cinematic inner city high school would you compare it to?
Minneapolis was very segregated in the seventies -- lots of redlining going on in housing, and this of course was reflected in the schools. As I completed sixth grade, the Minneapolis Public Schools went through a dramatic reorg, gerrymandering districts, closing several schools and creating a number of magnet programs in the remaining high schools. The high school in my district, Patrick Henry, got no new programs; while North, right in the heart of black neighborhood, got a very rigorous sci/math program, the school district's radio station, a TV station, and a visual/performing arts magnet. TV production was what attracted me.

I don't think I have a movie to compare my experience to. Most movies set in "rough" schools are about Earnest Teachers trying to Make a Difference, and those never ring true to me (sorry Alexis), so I skip them. None of the John Hughes films, that's for sure.


2. Sticking with movies, AMPAS gets you on the phone and tells you that they've finally given Gil Cates the heave ho - you're in charge of the Oscars telecast. What changes would you make?
First of all, instead of scolding winners to keep it short, I would advise that the show is going to go as long as it needs to be, so get over it. I'll move the event up earlier if necessary, say 5 pm CT. More clip reels. SOUND in the dead reel. Bruce Vilanch will be fired, if not summarily executed. Song nominees will be performed sans dance accompaniment, either by the original artist, or by Bill Shatner. Finally, in order to generate more general interest in the event, I'd work behind the scenes to encourage gambling on the Oscars. I'll plant Oscar-pool prediction stories in more nontraditional areas, like ESPN2.

3. Finish this sentence: "If I stuck with sports information as a career, I would currently be..."
Underpaid, overworked, and bitter. Aside from the job taking up all my leisure time, I have found, through the ongoing quizbowl experience and generally being an old crank, that I don't have the disposition to deal with college kids on a regular basis.

4. What would it take to get you and Kirstie to relocate back to the Boston area?
The Great Chicago Fire of 2009? It'd take some crazy-ass relocation package that would allow us the wherewithal to live in the thick of things, but that's never something either of us would seek. I thought Boston proper was a pretty cool place to go to school, but not once did I feel like anything but the outsider. And it'd be a pain to live someplace more remote, like Braintree, because Kirsti hates to drive. She misses her folks, but she's happy to have some distance from the extended family gossip and drama.

5. You asked about my parents, so I'm going to ask about yours. What have been the most and least positive aspects of your current parental set-up?
There are many more positives than negatives. My stepmoms are pretty different (gee, ya think?), but they complement their partners very well. And I like their adult kids a lot. The best thing is that my sister's kids are getting the right messages about same-sex relationships. While the Christian Taliban's reach seems to grow all the time, at least I can have hope in those four. Least positive: I wish we could get the whole gang together for family gatherings, if only so we didn't have to schedule separate playdates when we're up visiting. Also, I think my sister can still play guilt cards on mom. That's not cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment