Tuesday, February 20, 2007

These are from Stan:

1. If you were giving advice to someone from outside the area, would you say there's enough to do in Evanston that's not affiliated with the University to justify living there?
Without question. Evanston's gotten much more lively since you were here for school. The university is really only on my radar two or three times a year; for B-Fest and perhaps another random event (but keep in mind I don't live in, or have much cause to go to, North Evanston, where the stadium is). On the other hand, it's ridiculously expensive. Our realtor told us seven years ago that we got the last good deal in town. Not that I've been looking that hard, but I haven't seen evidence to the contrary.

2. On your blog a while back, you mentioned deciding to be childless. In a world which seems to pressure people to procreate, did you and Kirsti encounter much opposition to that decision?
Julie asked me a nearly-identical question, and I'm trying to answer them consistently but differently. In nearly every step of the relationship we haven't done much in a traditional manner: we got engaged later than most people, married later than most, then eloped...I guess we made it pretty clear that we were going to do things the way we wanted. We've had to have The Talk with a few people, but it's not like anyone's trying to throw me on top of Kirsti or anything. Well, there's one person, but i'll get into that later.

3. What's the most played song in your home -- either on the computer or on a CD?
I will either shuffle iTunes or listen to an album in its entirety. Kirsti will listen to three or four songs several times in a period. According to iTunes, the most-played song is "Walking with a Ghost in Paris," which is a mashup involving a Tegan and Sara song. But that hasn't been played in over a month. I've heard K. play the Nina Gordon CD a lot, but I'm not sure what songs from it are in heavy rotation.

4. After graduating college with a journalism degree, did you ever work in a newsroom in any context?
During school I had a paid internship at the Boston Herald, working in the sports department. This was mostly answering the phone, writing high-school recaps and entering things for the agate page, but was a lot of fun. After graduation my focus was on college sports information.

5. If you could eliminate one word or phrase from the language, what would it be?
"My bad" really irritates me. "I'm like" instead of "I said" is also annoying, but I'm as guilty as the rest of my generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment